Nov 30, 2009

Dwarves 2, New Yorker





Some more exploratory Dwarves for The Hobbit project. Still not quite there, but definitely getting closer!

I decided in maybe the second drawing I did that the majority of dwarves would have unibrows. It just seemed obvious.

A couple weeks ago I got a call from Max Bode from the New Yorker to do a small portrait of Michael Bennett for the upcoming issue. Bennett was the original director of the first Broadway run of Dreamgirls back in 1981.

This posed a couple of challenges. First, I've never really done any portraits, and they are difficult. Second, this was the tiniest drawing ever: the final prints at 2 inches by 1.5 inches, so there was really no room to play around.

Here is the final and a few other color options I sent in.

7 comments:

  1. effin sweet! i really like the mask like beards on the dwarves. its cool to see how your work translates to portraiture - really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on the New Yorker deal, I really love the pale yellow portrait on the right. Very neato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, it looks like you got to play around a bit, even if you didn't, it's a sweet deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful portrait. I think I prefer the original colors to the other three. I'm lovin' these dwarves, haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe... those dwarfs are great man!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dwarves are all working so well. I've got high hopes for this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice stuff man! just discovered your work and really happy to have done so =]

    ReplyDelete