Jul 11, 2011

The Hound

Sandor Clegane, brother of The Mountain and sworn shield to Joffrey Baratheon, is easily my favorite character in the series. He's emblematic of George R. R. Martin's ability to turn a character from abhorrent to sympathetic to tragic over the span of a couple books, while never losing what it was that made him interesting in the first place. Like so many characters throughout the series, the first impression of The Hound is not the one we're left with, as layers are peeled away and the inner workings are revealed. He's still a sociopath and a murderer and the all around baddest dude in King's Landing (except maybe for his brother), but at least we understand why.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the books so I don't know how much they've strayed from, but your pictures make me want to read the books after watching the show.

    You're Mountain, Loras, and Hound are pretty spot on for being your own vision of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, these SoIF paintings are amazing! I love your vision of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandor is also one of my top characters from SoIF. Dance with Dragons came last night and started poking through it. Feast wasn't as exciting for me as those first three books but it did include another one of those characters that grew on me and has a "good arc", Jaime Lannister.

    I grew up on 70s and 80s movies and TV so your rendition of Sandor kind of reminds of the icons of that era, James Coburn in particular. Really dig your depictions of these characrers, thanks for putting them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo. This is way more how I pictured him- not the barely-scalded HBO version.

    I wish we could've included this one in the zine too! Thanks so much for contributing your work, it's gorgeous, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete