Feb 10, 2010

The Hobbit, part one



The Dwarves of yore made mighty spells / while hammers fell like ringing bells / in places deep, where dark things sleep / in hollow halls beneath the fells.

Pencil, ink, digital. 13x20" (click to make it larger)

Okay! Totally done with the first piece, guys. Also, I have the next two pieces lined up in the old noodle, so things should go a little more smoothly from here on out.

This was extremely difficult to compose, and I really have to thank James Gurney for writing so extensively on the intricacies of good composition in his newest book. When you're setting up an image with so many figures with a specific light source, most of the difficult drawing comes from trying to balance the scene and keep your eye moving. When you essentially create a a mess of figures, it's really easy to lose the focus of the composition and have your piece end up as something of a Where's Waldo type scene. That's totally fun because there are still a ton of little things to look at, but there's no narrative focus. I think I did a pretty good job keeping this one in check.

Again, don't forget to check out Picture Book Report every day to see all of the work these great artists are putting in JUST FOR YOU. Nobody's getting any clams out of this, it's all just for you. So go appreciate it!

25 comments:

  1. I have been lurking here for a long time following your Hobbit progress, but also just your work in general, and I think I should take this opportunity to say:

    HOOOOLLLLYYYY MOOOOTTHERRRR EFFFING GAAWD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SAM THIS IS EPIC
    Seriously good composition, it really shows how much thought you put into it. I heart it. :D Any chance you'll be selling prints after all is said and done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great man, can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great, you should check out erwin madrid's blog..

    http://erwinmadrid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally inspired. And if this is what's coming from a dark bar scene, I can't wait to see what you've got in mind for other sections of the book.

    My wife says it reminds her of a Rembrandt piece, a big group, pretty dark, everybody looks kind of mean. So you've got that going for you.

    Love how your finished pieces are kind of like a technical puzzle, too. I find myself looking over them always thinking "okay, how did he do this part?" It gets me to thinking! I'm also sure this took you a long time and it shows. I have to remember to be patient and keep at it, too and this helps to show what you can achieve. Okay I'm done gushing for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the first things I noticed was how well you directed the viewer's eyes to Bilbo -- with the angle of the lamp, and the other characters' directed gazes, and the brightness of the map. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually re-reading the hobbit right now, for the first time in years. Really glad I came across your blog! This piece is excellent. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are so good at this it is not funny holy flip

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am so appreciating this right here. also i love these digital experiments you've been doing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see your process! I've always wondered how you colour the pencil lines and add drop in colour under the drawing so well! Great job on Gandalfs hands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is currently my desktop background, good friend. I just wanted the opportunity to stare at its intricacies over and over again, and now I have it. Brilliant work, can't wait for the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE Bilbo's small face smiling at the bottom! Hilarious!!

    Oh man thats ALOT of hair in that room XD Even so, Gandalf stands out from the dwarves. I think the composition worked well!

    I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Sam, you never cease to amaze me. I love seeing things come together after all the sketches that you've been posting so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of these, this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. pretty sick man, keep it up. can't wait to see thos stone giants ;x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet to this come together. It will be a great year to reconnect with The Hobbit through your art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great composition, man--your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOOOOOOOOOVE this piece. Amazing. So darn gooooood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someone I know was very kind and provided a link to your blog. I'm glad they did because your work is excellent. The composition, texture, and the amount of information this piece provides is really first class. I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  20. DAAAAAANNNNG haha that's one beautiful piece my man. Definately is my new background. I like how your gaze is directed to little Bilbo down there on the bottom and also how there's a funny effect of everyone looking like giants if you start on Bilbo and move your eyes out haha LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete