Sep 3, 2010

The Pitmen Painters

In the middle of that Naga Fireball job, I got a call from Jordan Awan at the New Yorker asking if I could turn something around really quickly for their upcoming issue. The assignment came in on Saturday afternoon with a Monday morning deadline, which was exactly when that Naga Fireball stuff was due! The time was cramped, but when I saw what the piece was about it was impossible to turn down.

The Pitmen Painters is an upcoming play focused on the true story of a group of miners who hire a professor to teach them Art Appreciation classes, and eventually painting classes.

Some sketches. The middle sketch was sort of a joke, but it's obvious what part of the art school life a regular blue-collar worker would appreciate the most.
The issue comes out this week.

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the second one! Wish we could have seen it taken further! The idea of the light illuminating the piece-guh. Super fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Sam, also way to ride that deadline-worm like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all fantastic, wish they all were taken to final form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! how cool! How do you get such great gigs? Is it just you amazing skills? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow I can't believe you did this so quickly! Congrats on getting an awesome gig, too. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ! I just saw this in the New Yorker this morning! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That canary was such a good idea! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome piece in such short notice... great job! Sketches are nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to middle school with Jordan Awan and his mom was my art teacher! His older brother Jashar gave me art lessons in 8th grade. they also introduced me to Akira and comics. wow. small world

    ReplyDelete