Jun 2, 2010

Gollum 3


Here are some very batrachian Gollums. 20 and 26 are alright. I sort of know what I'm doing with this dude, so a lot of these are just whatever. I meant to have more but I had to send my sketchbooks away for SECRET PURPOSES. Next Hobbit piece should land next Wednesday barring unforeseen circumstances.

AN IMPORTANT QUESTION:

If I were to make prints available via etsy or bigcartel or one of those things, would you buy them? I am including my Picturebook stuff in this speculative effort, as well as some miscellaneous stuff like Sub Rosa and Bog Man and some others. Usually I am sure that nobody ones this weird stuff on their walls, and so I don't make the effort. I don't have a ton of hangable original drawings, since most of my older work was done in multiple layers, but a few of the more recent originals might be for sale as well (like Hobbit 3 and Hobbit 4). Let me know if this is worth my time and if there's anything specific you'd like to see for sale.

THANK YOU

16 comments:

  1. I would by hobbit 4 in a new york minute.
    #ItsARegularMinuteForMe #TypinLikeTwitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Please do it! Your stuff is so awesome...I find myself coming back to it again and again to look over the little details you include. The hobbit stuff would be great, as would the two examples you gave above. What about the Jack and the Beanstalk-related illustrations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I would actually be way more likely to buy a book full of your work as opposed to a single print. Having said that, Hobit 4 is very nice, wouldn't mind having a print of that once I can afford to start framing things all willy-nilly.

    Maybe a single book of both you and Kali?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that Muse cover (what's in a name) would sell. Also a lot of people buy stuff as gifts or for kids' rooms, so anything along those lines usually does well.

    After selling prints on etsy for a year, I can tell you that it'd probably be worth it to find a good print selling service (even if they take some cut, you might save on supplies/time/sanity). I got really sick of printing/packaging/shipping stuff pretty quickly, especially with prints, since they have to be packaged well to not wrinkle in transit. My $.02 :]
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a pack of postcards/postcard size prints? I bet that'd be really awesome. Otherwise posters would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The previous Hobbit pieces were spot on interpretations of the book. I'm looking forward to seeing how your depiction of Gollum turns out.

    I would definitely buy the muse cover or any of the Hobbit prints, so you should do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was totally just saying to myself last night how I wanted some prints of your work! Jeez, talk about luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd buy stuff for sure. I wouldnt mind a collected works book either.
    Also you should post the Popgun story you did because its amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Yes. Sell. Sell. Sell to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be very tempted by prints of Hobbit related work, though I don't usually go for digital/giclee prints - I'm a screenprinter myself, so that's what I'm drawn to.

    I would love to see some silkscreen printed stuff from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prints of all the Storybook series would be awesome as well as pretty much all of your other work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. please please sell prints. making limited presses and having them hand numbered and signed would offer more of an incentive to buy them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always liked the idea of art accompanied by a video dvd, with the artist either talking/showing the process or discussing the piece itself. That would be worth more to me. Go multi-media. iMovie.

    ReplyDelete