Dec 14, 2009

Wizards 1




Gandalf, the wandering wizard. What a great character. I'm going to spend a couple of days working on his face before I get into costuming.

God, finally a character with a giant beard to draw.

That last one is definitely the direction I'm taking him.

It's been an interesting mental exercise trying to fill in the rest of Tolkien's universe just using the information given in the Hobbit and not checking any of the gigantic LOTR wikis I'm sure exist out there. I've been having fun taking his descriptions of these characters and what they do in this relatively small story and imagining the rest, even though it's all written somewhere.

I read the Hobbit long before I could sit down and muscle my way through Fellowship and beyond. It just moves so much faster, especially when you consider that Fellowship starts with what, two hundred pages of wandering? That's tough to handle when you're ten, even if the scene in the barrow downs is rad. There's a lot more singing in The Hobbit, also. Bonus.

11 comments:

  1. I love the shading on the beards.

    I have to say that prefer beard with funky mustache. I think it makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet
    grey beards > white beards :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top-right Gandalf is my favorite. I love their noses---like melted boots. Your characters are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the moustache is definitely a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you post'em chronologically?
    'Cause I love the way they get more detail/tiny lil quirks from first to last. :)
    Last one has the most interesting features def! Love the stash aswel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last face is awesome, though perhaps not gentle enough for Gandalf? This whole series is shaping up to be pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wizards! "Thou shalt not pass!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree, the mustache is baller. Bottom right is my fav's. light eyes are super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. When I was younger I loved The Hobbit and couldn't get into the fellowship for some reason (probably the 200 pages of wandering).

    ReplyDelete
  10. But I love the wandering. Somehow it's my favorite part of the book.

    ReplyDelete